The department of Public Health Dentistry has continuously organised and encouraged continued dental education programmes at both under-graduate and post-graduate levels across all departments to learn and execute research projects
THE DEPARTMENT FACILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Tobacco cessation counselling clinic since 2014 attracting patients 400-450 patients annually
- Extensive outreach program serving a population of close to 3000 annually
- Active participation in Special Olympics Bharat, Special Smiles, a mega health camps organised by Government of India
- Ongoing school dental health programme in Patna District
- Undertake multidisciplinary research activities.
- Fully furnished mobile dental clinic to cater to the needs of the rural and needy population
- Rural satellite dental health centre for clinical dental services at Pahari and at Gurudwara, Patna sahib.
- Supporting various public health initiatives by observing World Oral Health Day, World health day, No tobacco day to create awareness among the public
COMPREHENSIVE DENTAL CLINIC
Department has a well established clinic which offers overall oral health care and various preventive measures such as oral prophylaxis, health education, pit & fissure sealant & topical fluoride application, GIC & composite restorations, pulp therapies, extractions and referral to other speciality departments for the patients of all age groups.
TOBACCO CESSATION CENTRE (TCC)
Tobacco is a legally available substance that will kill people who use it. Tobacco use, a human-made epidemic, kills about millions of people globally. The tobacco epidemic worldwide is affecting the poorer and least educated the most. Hence, health care providers play an important role in tobacco cessation and abstinence. Dental professionals play a significant role in identifying smokers and smokeless tobacco users, they are thus in a better position to offer preventive care.In this view, we started Tobacco Cessation Centre (TCC) in the department of Public Health Dentistry,BIDSH, Patna in 2014. Faculty members of public health dentistry were trained for tobacco cessation counselling, Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) and behavioral counselling in co-ordination with other departments. Patients not only from our state, but also from outside state come to receive the TCC benefits. Tobacco quit rates are also satisfactory. Regular training of postgraduate and undergraduate students in tobacco cessation counselling is done in our department.
SCHOOL ORAL HEALTH PROGRAMS
Schools are adopted by the department and exclusive oral health awareness and screening programs are conducted among school children periodically.
DENTAL OUTREACH PROGRAMS
SATELLITE DENTAL CLINICS
Step towards to reach the unreachable and serve them at their door steps. The concept of prevention of disease, prolonging life and promoting healthy lifestyles is central to our objectives. The department provides oral health services free of cost and encourages referrals of complex cases to be treated on priority basis at the institutional set up.
DENTAL CAMPS & MOBILE DENTAL UNIT
Mobile & portable dental services provide an innovative solution in bringing dental care to the doorsteps of the underprivileged and rural population as well as an village has been adopted to render comprehensive oral health care and the basic dental services. Mobile dental clinics provide comprehensive dental services through outreach programs focusing on education, prevention, diagnosis and treatment. The target population are children from the economically disadvantaged groups, indigent people, elderly and disabled who would otherwise have no access to dentistry. Department attempts relentlessly to harmonise and integrate teaching – learning activities with community service and community based research. The department efficiently integrated doing research with teaching research.
Dr Suma B S, Professor and Head
Professor & HOD, Department of Public Health Dentistry, Buddha Institute of Dental Sciences, Patna, Bihar. Completed BDS & MDS from Government Dental College & Research Institute, Bengaluru, Karnataka. Having teaching experience of more than 21years in teaching Public Health Dentistry. She is one of the resource person to an workshop on modification of syllabus for BDS curriculum held at RGUHS by DCI. She has completed certificate courses on Introduction to Systematic Reviews for Dental Health Professionals, Scientific Writing in Health Research conducted by ICMR-NIE, Chennai and Ethics Review of Health Research by NIE-ICMR-WHO(India). She has participated and contributed towards the successful conduct of JBI gLocal Solution Room 2022, Amrita centre for Evidence Based Oral Health. She has many scientific paper publications in both pubmed indexed International Journals as well as in National journals. Currently guiding the post graduate and undergraduate students in the Department.
- Teaching experience of 21 years.
- Department There was active participation by P.G. students & interns on the occasion of Amrit Mahatosava Camp as Government of India initiative in coordination with Special Olympics Special Smile for screening of differently abled children.
- Under achievements.
Dr. Veeranna Ramesh, Professor
- Best Scientific Paper and Best Scientific Poster in 1st South Indian Dental Conference 2005, Kochi.
- Best Paper Prize in 6th Goa State Dental Conference 2005
- He has worked on N.H.S. supported World Health Organization (WHO) projects in United Kingdom and am certified trainer for handling Medical Emergencies in Dentistry
Dr Nirmala Kumari, Reader
- She has received appreciation for extraordinary community dental health work by I.D.A. Patna
Dr Rana Nagendra Prasad Singh, Reader
- Awarded Best Scientific Poster at 18th National Conference of Indian Associations of Public Health Dentistry held at Lucknow.
Priya Rani, Senior Lecture
Dr. Pallavi Kumari, Senior Lecture
Dr. Anaba Asif, Senior Lecture
Academic Achievements of the Students:
Dr. Anant Kumar
2nd yr P.G. won first prize in scientific poster presentation in 2021 in National I.A.P.H.D. Conference
Dr. Simmy Lall
o 2nd yr P.G. won first prize in scientific poster presentation in 2021 in National I.A.P.H.D. Conference.