Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry is an age-defined specialty. It is the foremost branch of dentistry providing substantial services to all the children from infancy, childhood through adolescence including those with special health care needs. The uniqueness of being a pediatric dentist lies in the fact that they introduce children to an experience of multidimensional well-being beyond oral health. We are centrally located in the heart of Patna and are able to reach out to maximum number of children in and around. We look after almost 50-60 patients in departmental OPD on daily basis.
The institute has both undergraduate and post graduate curriculum. We make learning fun by involving our students in various educational as well as entertaining activities like children’s day celebration, world oral health day celebration etc.
Undergraduate curriculum: Undergraduates are trained to develop necessary clinical skills for providing basic dental care to children with emphasis on preventive dentistry. We teach comprehensive training in diet counselling, case history recording, diagnosis and treatment plan at the UG level. They have pre-clinical commitment after fulfilling that they are trained to do minor restorative and surgical procedures like tooth extraction. They are also exposed to give clinical presentations and seminars.
Postgraduate curriculum: We have 3-years full term comprehensive PG program started in 2016 with the strength of 5 students in one batch. The students join clinic after 6 months of pre-clinical work. In these 3 years candidates receive extensive clinical and theoretical education together with hands on experience in teaching, learning and research. The curriculum includes behavior management, case history recording, diagnosis and treatment plan, diet counselling, preventive, restorative, esthetic, pulp therapy, interceptive and preventive orthodontics, prosthetic rehabilitations, dental trauma, management of child abuse and neglect and children with special health care needs who may require hospital dentistry. It also includes seminars and journal clubs which helps to improve students’ presentation skill. Each postgraduate student is guided to do various publications as a part of academics. The students are evaluated progressively at all levels of their learning. They are trained with all advance materials and instruments. The three years PG program is in accordance with the guideline set by DCI.
CDE PROGRAM/LECTURES/WORKSHOPS/HANDS-ON ORGANIZED
- Inhalation Conscious Sedation in Dentistry & Basic Life Support (July 2017)
- Zirconia VS S.S Crown: A Boon To Pediatric Patients (2019)
- Certificate Course of Diabetes and Oral Health: Bridging the Gap Between Diabetologists and Dentists (2021)
- Diabetes and oral health in children in Periovihara (July 2022)
DEPARTMENT FACILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
Our department provides comprehensive oral health care while giving utmost importance to preventive procedures like oral hygiene practices, fluoride treatment, and sealant application. We use best available technology, clinical skills and evidence-based treatment protocols for patient care.
Services provided to the patients include:
- Preventive treatment which includes pit and fissure sealants, fluoride, oral prophylaxis,
- Restorative treatment for deciduous teeth using wide array of latest materials
- Pulp therapy for deciduous teeth using modern materials
- Rotary endodontics
- Stainless steel and esthetic crowns
- Space maintainers
- Preventive and interceptive orthodontics
- Minor oral surgical procedures using laser
- Nitrous oxide sedation
- Advanced regenerative endodontics
- Treatment of dental trauma
- Prosthodontic rehabilitation
- Dental care for Special Health Care needs children
- Working clinics for PG & UG students.
- Sterilization room looks after overall sterilization & disinfection of instruments, materials working area.
- Radiology room with conventional as well as digital radiography equipment.
- Conscious sedation room.
- Play area for kids.
- Well-equipped laboratory for lab work.