The Department of oral and maxillofacial surgery at BIDSH, Patna is a speciality in dentistry established in the year 1984. Oral and maxillofacial surgery is a unique branch which bridges disciplines between dentistry and medical sciences.
The Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery forms an important component of Dental Hospital as the procedures carried out in this department includes treatment from basic oral surgical procedures like exodontia(extraction or removal tooth/teeth)& impaction surgeries of third molar as well as other impacted tooth under local anaesthesia to advanced complex surgical procedures like TMJ ankylosis surgeries under fiber-optic intubation& surgical correction of cleft lip & palate, Orthognathic surgery /reconstructive surgery of face, surgeries for facial trauma as well as facial cosmetic surgery.
The department has also procured new equipments to run these various units efficiently and effectively hence allowing us to provide prompt service to a larger number of patients in a shorter span of time. Procedures falling under the category of minor oral surgery are conducted routinely in the new minor oral surgery section.
Additional staff members and auxiliary staff have been added to existing staff structure to satisfy the requirements of the various sections of the department.
With the aim of providing treatment to indoor patients the department of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery has also developed a fully functional state of the art operation theatre complex equipped with surgical and adjunctive gadgets. These include surgical light systems, cardiac monitors, pulse oximeters, cautery systems. The patients being operated in the above mentioned complex are also provided with a constant monitoring.
- The department caters to both undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) training curriculum.
- The under graduate program deals with extraction of teeth and the complications arising and the subsequent management along with the management of medical emergencies on the dental chair.
- This program involves lectures, seminars, clinical experiences in the last 2 years of the 4-year dental curriculum.
- Students are exposed to a wide variety of orofacial pathologies and all students get an extensive knowledge of asepsis in clinical practice along with clinical experience in extractions and observations and assistance in minor and major surgical procedures.
- Those interested in research will be able to collaborate in some of the ongoing research projects in the department.
- The undergraduate section has 32 dental chairs, on which the students are trained the basic procedures of oral surgery.
- The post graduate section has – cabins with dental chairs for each post graduate student.
- There are 20 chairs in the Minor Operation Theatres.
- About – cases of minor oral surgery are done by post graduates per week which include all complicated Dento-Alveolar Surgeries, Biopsies, Small cysts and Tumour Excisions, Minor Scar Revisions and Fracture Treatment.
- With support of team of Oral Surgery, a variety of different cases are operated under General Anaesthesia and Local Anaesthesia.
- All major cases are operated here in the highly equipped operation theatres and first-rate care is provided to post-operative patients in the attached ICU facility with attached NABH accredited Hospital.
- Along with this various research projects to train the students in research methodology allotted to the post graduate students.
- ON Periodic Interval
DEPARTMENT FACILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Separate unit for under graduates and postgraduates with fully equipped ultra-modern dental chairs.
- Minor surgery unit with post operative room
- Laser surgery unit
- Dental Implantology clinic
- Seminar room with audio visual unit
- Ward for day care post-surgery patients
- Instruments for orthognathic surgery (Stryker Oscillating saw)
- Instruments for maxillofacial cleft surgeries.
- Instruments for TMJ surgeries.
Services to patients
- Painless Dental extraction
- Trans alveolar extraction
- Impacted teeth surgery
- Maxillofacial trauma surgery
- Maxillofacial cyst and tumour surgery
- TMJ ankylosis surgery
- Maxillofacial cleft surgery
- Orthognathic surgery
- Dental implant surgery
Peripheral Posting for PGs:
AIIMS Patna for Peripheral training in the department of Surgical Oncology (Head and Neck), Trauma and Emergency ENT, Ophthalmology, for post graduates.